Saturday, July 16, 2016

RESPONSIVENESS TO THE PUBLIC

One of the many things that accounting taught me is timeliness; it is the principle that refers to accounting information to be presented to the users in time to fulfill their decision-making needs. It is highly desirable because outdated information can be irrelevant to the users. Timeliness is closely related to relevance. Imagine issuing a financial statement made two years ago, it would probably be hard to assess whether the company have drastically changed from that time up to the present.

When we hear the word public servants, we relate it to people working in the government agencies or those politicians elected by the people. As a matter of fact, those who are in power are the main servants of the public because the government itself was built by the public. Thus, as a public servant, it is their duty and responsibility to serve them to the best that they can.

To be responsive means to satisfy or meet the needs or desires of the people in our democratic society and accomplishing maximum results at a lower cost. It is to create connections with people regardless of their age, race, religion, economic status and the like; they should be treated with respect and integrity.

I meet people from all walks of life every day at the office and I attend to them with a smile from the moment they step in. I respond to them with proper information that could help them realize more of our institution in an understandable way.

I always prioritize the elderly, pregnant women and the person’s with disability not because it was mandated by the office but because for me it is equality. We give them better consideration because it is right and just.  It implies that I am putting myself voluntarily into a role that fills their need, or I am putting myself lower than them to able to raise them up.

At times, I feel disappointed by those I consider as “professionals” because they are those who cut the line to be entertained right away, those who are arrogant in asking us questions, those who cannot wait for their turn, and those who consider themselves more superior than others. That is why, I always appreciate the underprivileged because they know how to respect us even if we are public servants and they know how to listen to our explanations intently.

The quality of my service to the client is part of bedrock on which our society and future prosperity depends, it is also crucial in shaping a flourishing, productive and equitable organization. Once I provide them with a satisfying service, I can feel that I have the power to improve the people’s quality of life and enhance their opportunities. That is why I am always of high quality, efficient and continually improving and responsive to the needs of the locals.

My responsiveness does not depend on someone’s status but on how someone deals with me. I am good to those who are good; and better to those who are worst. I allow myself to listen to them because the users of our services can also give us lessons on how to improve more and so that their ideas can go deeper into the organization to give more tailored services.
As a public servant, I continue to feel an undiminished pride especially when I hear grateful words from people knowing that I am in a company that has a bright future, kinder and gentler environment due to the personal investment of labors of the employees.

We are not “non producers”; rather we have vital roles to be provider of public goods, guardians of the people with a great sense of equality and promoters of a civic life essential to our community. Our role to public service is significant to the success of our republic.

As an ethical public employee, I will listen closely and respectfully to the critics so that I can build a partnership with the locals and to be able to continue to look for ways to improve how each of us, especially the front-line staff, to focus on outcomes to overcome boundaries or gap among people whether rich or poor, to deliver our services more effectively and more efficiently.

We must, however, never dismiss the fact that what we do as public employees is essential to the functioning of the community and the welfare of our citizens. If we work hard, treat our elected officials, peers and everyone with respect and civility, we can always look on the good of others and we can bring honor back to public service and attract a new generation to a higher degree of selfless and profound dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment